HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE
CHAPTER 7: THE SORTING HAT
Story: The door swung open at once. A tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes stood there. She had a very stern face and Harry’s first thought was that this was not someone to cross.
Moment 1: THE ENTRANCE HALL
Story: Harry could hear the drone of hundreds of voices from a doorway to the right – the rest of the school must already be here – but Professor McGonagall showed the first-years into a small empty chamber off the hall. They crowded in, standing rather closer together than they would usually have done, peering about nervously...
Read About: Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Nearly Headless Nick, Professor McGonagall, Ron Weasley, The Fat Friar; Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry; The House Cup
What to Do: At the stairs, 3rd from the bottom, collect the Galleon J
2nd zoom, Click the lady at the right side of the door to unlock ‘Professor Mc Gonagall’
Moment 2: THE SORTING HAT
Story: Harry quickly looked down again as Professor McGonagall silently placed a four-legged stool in front of the first-years. On top of the stool she put a pointed wizard’s hat. This hat was patched and frayed and extremely dirty...
“The Sorting Hat
There’s nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can’t see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be...
...put me on! Don’t be afraid!
And don’t get in a flap!
You’re in safe hands (though I have none)
For I’m a Thinking Cap!
Your Username here”
Try on the Sorting Hat (button)
Now if you are ready, Click the button ‘Try on the Sorting Hat’ to be sorted to a Hogwarts House.
Answer the Questions truthfully J
Read About: Blaise Zabini, Dean Thomas, Draco Malfoy, Godric Gryffindor, Gregory Goyle, Hannah Abbot, Harry Potter, Helga Hufflepuff, Hermione Granger, Justin Finch-Fletchley, Lavender Brown, Lisa Turpin, Millicent Bulstrode, Morag MacDougal, Nearly Headless Nick, Neville Longbottom, Percy Weasley, Professor Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall, Professor Quirrell, Professor Snape, Ron Weasley, Rowena Ravenclaw,Salazar Slytherin, Sally-Anne Perks, Seamus Finnigan, Susan Bones, Terry Boot, The Bloody Baron, The Fat Friar, The Grey Lady, Vincent Crabbe; The Great Hall; Hatstall, The Sorting Hat; Hogwarts: A History
What to Do: Take the Sorting Hat
“WELCOME TO HOGWARTS
The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin.
"Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn you house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours."
Please answer the questions that follow as honestly as you can to make sure you are sorted into the right house for you.”
There are several questions by the sorting hat, But only 7 questions given to each student. Here are some questions I collected.
· Which of the following would you most hate people to call you?
· Four boxes are placed before you. Which would you try and open?
- The small tortoiseshell box, embellished with gold, inside which some small creature seems to be squeaking.
- The gleaming jet black box with a silver lock and key, marked with a mysterious rune that you know to be the mark of Merlin.
- The ornate golden casket, standing on clawed feet, whose inscription warns that both secret knowledge and unbearable temptation lie within.
- The small pewter box, unassuming and plain, with a scratched message upon it that reads 'I open only for the worthy.'
· Which would you rather be?
· How would you like to be known to history?
- The Wise
- The Kind
- The Bold
- The Great
· Given the choice, would you rather invent a potion that would guarantee you:
· What kind of instrument most pleases your ear?
- The violin
- The trumpet
- The piano
- The drum
· A troll has gone berserk in the Headmaster's study at Hogwarts. It is about to smash, crush and tear several irreplaceable items and treasures, including a cure for dragon pox, which the Headmaster has nearly perfected; student records going back 1000 years and a mysterious handwritten book full of strange runes, believed to have belonged to Merlin. In which order would you rescue these objects from the troll's club, if you could?
Merlin Book Dragon Pox Student Records
· Once every century, the Flutterby bush produces flowers that adapt their scent to attract the unwary. If it lured you, it would smell of:
- A cracking log fire
- The sea
- Fresh parchment
· You and two friends need to cross a bridge guarded by a river troll who insists on fighting one of you before he will let all of you pass. Do you:
- Attempt to confuse the troll into letting all three of you pass without fighting?
- Suggest drawing lots to decide which of you will fight?
- Suggest that all three of you should fight (without telling the troll)?
- Volunteer to fight?
· Which of the following do you find most difficult to deal with?
- Being ignored
· If you could have any power, which would you choose?
- The power to read minds
- The power of invisibility
- The power of superhuman strength
- The power to speak to animals
- The power to change the past
- The power to change your appearance at will
· One of your house mates has cheated in a Hogwarts exam by using a Self-Spelling Quill. Now he has come top of the class in Charms, beating you into second place. Professor Flitwick is suspicious of what happened. He draws you to one side after his lesson and asks you whether or not your classmate used a forbidden quill. What do you do?
- Lie and say you don't know (but hope that somebody else tells Professor Flitwick the truth).
- Tell Professor Flitwick that he ought to ask your classmate (and resolve to tell your classmate that if he doesn't tell the truth, you will).
- Tell Professor Flitwick the truth. If your classmate is prepared to win by cheating, he deserves to be found out. Also, as you are both in the same house, any points he loses will be regained by you, for coming first in his place.
- You would not wait to be asked to tell Professor Flitwick the truth. If you knew that somebody was using a forbidden quill, you would tell the teacher before the exam started.
· Moon or stars?
· Left or right?
After the 7th question, you will be introduced to your house J
END OF CHAPTER 7
Story: Professor McGonagall rolled up her scroll and took the Sorting Hat away.